Get free written samples by our Top-Notch subject experts and Assignment Helper team.
1 Introduction Self-Reflection Assessment Sample
In this particular self-reflection report, I will be highlighting the subject of various attributes of my personality and analyse their significance in the personal as well as professional development of my life. A self-reflection report facilitates increase self-awareness and helps to identify the areas of improvement as well as the strength of an individual. This evaluation is very functional for understanding the current position and take initiative to go forward towards their desired way. I will demonstrate all my Hallam attributes and analyse and reflect these traits with the help of Gibb’s framework in this report. In the concluding part, I will develop an action plan for improving myself to achieve success in future.
Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle has been formulated by Graham Gibbs in 1998. The theory was first published in his book called “Learning by Doing” (Kuuskorpiet al., 2020). Gibbs’ theory displays the importance of understanding the everyday situation and learning from those times when the thing does not go well. This renowned cyclic framework has five stages that allow an individual to learn and plan as per their own situational experience.
2 Attributes - Reflection
2.1 Description of Hallam Attributes
Confidence:The word confidence comes from a Latin word ‘fidere’ which means “to trust”; therefore, having self-confidence is having trust in oneself (Rosenthal, 2019).
Confidence is an attitude that enables one to be sure about their abilities and builds positive regard in a person. Confidence is established when a person is well known about their capabilities well including strength and weakness that enables a person to handle criticism assertively and builds faith in an individual. A confident person can handle a situation positively and smartly and set specific goals and realistic expectations as per their life objective. The environment of upbringing and behaviour of the close ones plays a crucial role in establishing confidence in a person.
Resilience:“It’s your ability to withstand adversity and bounce back and grow despite life’s downturns,” stated Amit Sood, MD, former medicine professor of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Resilience empowers a human being to recover from setbacks and challenges and help a person to deal with problems. Being resilient helps a person to overcome various traumatic events of life that cause negative feelings like, fear, sadness, anxiety, pain. The main role of resilience is to help an individual to overcome difficult situations and empower one to make improvements in their perspective to live life well. There are multiple processes that assist a person to increase resilience, such as, prioritizing relationships, joining a supportive community, practising mindfulness and providing an adequate resource to eliminate stress.
Creativity: The power of turning imagination into reality is called creativity (Walia, 2019). Creativity is one of the similar skills found in most successful people in the world. Without their vision and imagination, the world could never be evidence of the electric bulb, internet, Alibaba or Google. Creativity introduces innovative ideas, efficient possibilities that new masterpieces that help to solve an existing issue in society, used for the entertaining purpose or modifies something. The main driving factor behind creativity is imagination. This skill expands the horizon of individuals’ perception and increases a sense of problem-solving attitude that helps to make the world a better place.
2.2 The Reflective Framework of Gibbs
There are six stages in Gibbs’ Reflective Framework. The cycle starts with a description and ends in a conclusion. Each stage defines and evaluates different items. In this report, I have used Gibbs’ model to evaluate the experiences and my emotions from the journey of my life and understand the important learning that I have acquired from those situations. Analyse through these six stages have made the work easier and more appreciative. The following stages are,
- Description:The first and foremost stage discusses the experiences in detail and collects a range of factual information regarding a diverse incident of a person (Labach and Valaee, 2020). While working in social group work, I was assigned for being a leader. In that activity, I was tasked to guide all the members of the team, understand their issues and provide adequate supportive items to solve their issues. The main work of the team was to visit mentally distressed persons and provide support and assistance for improving their mental health. During the work, I have understood that I find it difficult to listen to a person for a long time and understand their point of view. Being a leader, it was necessary for me to listen to every team member and understand their perspective and evaluate for making a decision. Lack of patience and being inattentive had hindered me to make the right decision for our social work team. Therefore, I have understood regarding making a decision, I need to increase my listening skill.
- Feelings:Around the world, more than IQ, now a day’s EQ is most regarded in a person. EQ enables a person to understand one’s emotion and feeling that helps to manage stress and other negative emotions. In this stage, I have given significant importance to focusing and identifying my feelings and emotion to get a better view of myself. In my past experience, multiple times, while dealing with criticism I have been filled with negative emotions and that has driven me back in my life. Whenever someone criticizes my work or bout me, I start to look at myself from other’s points of view and consider myself worthless. The evaluation has shown me the need of learning and developing confidence in myself.
- Evaluation:In this evaluation section I have evaluated my past experiences to understand my personality and my weakness to improve myself for betterment. Being the team leader in the social group, often I needed to motivate and inspire my other team members for boosting their productivity and engage them in our tasks. I have continuously been appreciated and the noteworthy improvement among my team members has proved me a great motivator and influencer. But apart from this, during my journey, when I needed to make a decision based on the perspectives and statements of my other team members. I have faced huge difficulty in evaluating and recognizing the right set of thoughts for the ultimate decision which will be effective for the teamwork. Definitely, I felt a huge flaw in me for making the right decision and during this process, I have also understood a lack of evaluation skill in myself.
- Analysis:In this stage, the most important task of this framework is done. The analysing part has helped me to go through all the stages and understand the relevant aspects that need to be evaluated to come to the right decision for my personal and professional development. While taking an internship in a multinational company, I realized several things about my personality. For being employed in a multinational company, I had several duties like dealing with consumers, follow the ethics of the company to maintain a healthy balance with the other employees, understanding and learning how to persuade someone to buy a product etc. While accomplishing all these duties I felt a huge problem in persuading a consumer to buy a product. I was not able to communicate well with the consumer and resultantly, the consumer lost interest in the product. Being friendly in nature, I thought sales will be good for my career nut the position has helped me to analyse my capability and weakness and showed me places of improvement to sustain a better position in the sales career.
- Conclusion:In the present report, I have discussed diverse issues that I have faced during various experiences of my life. These issues have progressed in my life and apart from it, these weaknesses will obstruct me from my future development. After analysing this writing, I have understood that I am facing multiple issues like lack of listening skills, low patience level, lack of communication skills and problems in making the right decision. I various context, while working with other people poor listening skill has obstructed me to understand a person’s perspective and this has led me to take the improper decision that did not sound to be effective for those organizations. I felt a need of improving my listening skill for the betterment of the future. Apart from this, I had failed multiple times to communicate effectively with the consumers and because of this reason; I have failed to convince a consumer to buy the product.
The last stage is discussed in the last section.
3 Actions for Personal development
From the above discussion, I have been able to identify some positive and negative traits of mine. Surely, I am a good motivator and a curious person but there are multiple side of me that needs to be improved. For improving listening skill, I will read multiple books for increasing my patience level and understanding core of listening skill. Apart from this, I will also practice to listen with my near ones and understand their view that will somewhat improve my listening power. Communication is very crucial as we deal with people every day. For improving communication skill, the primary step was to improve my listening and understand. After that I should initiate the conversation based on the others perspective that had been communicated. For decision making, it is crucial to understand and identify the right option in a certain scenario. In this regard, I need to gather information and understand the nature of the alternatives and choose the alternative based on my understanding and other’s opinion. At the end, taking action towards this plan is the most crucial and all these must be put into action for me to avoid improper decision in the future.
Labach, A. and Valaee, S., 2020, December. A framework for neural network pruning using gibbs distributions. In GLOBECOM 2020-2020 IEEE Global Communications Conference (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
Markkanen, P., Välimäki, M., Anttila, M. and Kuuskorpi, M., 2020. A reflective cycle: Understanding challenging situations in a school setting. Educational Research, 62(1), pp.46-62.
Rosenthal, D., 2019. Consciousness and confidence. Neuropsychologia, 128, pp.255-265.
Walia, C., 2019. A dynamic definition of creativity. Creativity Research Journal, 31(3), pp.237-247.