Change Management Assignment Sample
Get free written samples by our Top-Notch subject experts and Assignment Help team.
INTRODUCTION Change Management Assignment Sample
To get people to change, Make change easy, this assignment will describe the change management approach within an organisation. The process of various techniques and tools to manage the individuals side of change in order to attain the desired organisational goals is known to be the change management(Hayes,2014). The change management assignment Help practices as well as identify the issues and importance of it within an organisation. The assignment is in context to MAS Holdings organisation, through which it will be identified that how change management impacted the organisation. The report will described the main issue faced by them while introducing a change in their business operations. Furthermore, the report will determine the strengths and weaknesses of the MAS Holdings.
TASK 1 : Introduction and problems face by the MAS Holdings in relation to change management.
The MAS Holdings is a leading supplier of intimate apparel across the world which supplies world's top most brands of active-wear, leisurewear and intimates around 16 countries with more than 88000 employees. The organisation has various apparel production plants, offices, fabric mills and manufacturing process for providing effective solution to the customers. The MAS Holdings took an initiative to provide work to the workers by offering it to their place rather than bringing the workers to work(Doppelt,2017). The organisation analysed that their is lack of skill and talent in the big towns or urban region, therefore they planned to establish the manufacturing plants in the rural region which provided employment to the country-side people. Most of the women from the rural region started working for organisation in the manufacturing process. The MAS Holdings was established in the 1980's and became a leading design to delivery services providers in across the world. The organisation took a great and bold decision to manufacture lingerie in order to enter in to the apparel manufacturing industry. The firm has various products such as men's essentials, sleepwear, lingerie, lifestyle wear and other apparels of almost all the leading premium brand in the world.
The MAS Holding started as a supplier of lingerie and intimate wear but later on changed the whole structure by deciding to manufacturing the apparel by themselves. In order to start the manufacturing process the chairman Mahesh along with his brothers Ajay and Sharad decided to buy 40 sewing machine and also visited Hong-kong and China to obtain relevant knowledge or ideas related to the production process. The most effective decision which resulted in the succes of the MAS Holdings was to take the work to the workers instead of bringing workers to work(Gattermeyer and Al-Ani,2013). By established manufacturing plants in the rural areas they attracted lots of workers especially women to sew the apparel. The workforce consists 90% of women which leads to empowerment of them and positively encouraging the workforce. The problems raised in the MAS Holdings was that the women were leaving the jobs due to get married and returning once their kids are grown up. The organisation's issue was that they can not manage to hold the workforce at a continuous level. The manufacturing process gets negatively affected due to the lack of workforce even in the big towns people are not that much skilled and hard-working. MAS Holdings faced a major challenge in creating a strong and skilled workforce. The workforce management was the major problem for the organisation which is needed to solved as soon as possible form effective plans and strategies.
TASK 2 : Importance of change management to an organisation and the models of change management.
The process, techniques and tools in order to manage the people side of change for achievement of organisational goals is known as Change management.
There are various importance or benefits of change management to an organisation which are as described below -
Change is a managed and planned procedure. The importance of the change are predicted before implementing and served as motivator or assessment of the progresses.
With the help of change management the company or organisation can respond faster to customers demand. Assist in alignment of the resources existing within the business organisation. Change management enable the business firm to analyse overall effect of the change. We help you to Get the best Biochemical Engineering Assignment Help for good grades. It helps to apply the change without impacting the day to day operations of the organisation negatively. The organisation can increase effectiveness and efficiency within the business operation with the help of change management as they can acknowledge specific roles and duties to the various departments or staff.
Change management helps to reduce the time consumed in implementing a change.
Helps in increasing customer services and impressive services to customers with knowledgeable, skilled and confident employees. It helps in providing a way to forecast the challenges and react to them more efficiently.
A effective change management can help in reducing the risks related to the change.
Furthermore, it assist the organisation in managing the cost of change or cost related the change. It offers effective opportunities for the team development and leadership development within an organisation.
There are various models of change management but mainly there are three models which are being used by the organisations -
- Lewin's change management model
- McKinsey 7-S Model
- Kotter's 8 Step Change model
Lewin's Change Management Model
The Lewin's change management model was developed in the year 1950 by a psychologist named Kurt Lewin. He noticed that most of the people prefer to work or operate in a safety zone. The three different stages of change observed by him were as follows -
- Unfreeze " Some people create strong efforts in resisting the change. For overcoming this element, a period of unfreezing or melting should be developed with the help of motivation.
- Transition " Once change is being implemented, an organisation moves toward a transformation period. This period may last for a little time, effective leadership and guidance is required for this procedure to attain success(Bateh,Castaneda and Farah,2013).
- Refreeze " The change is when accepted and effectively applied, the organisation start operating with stability once again. The employees refreezes and operates according ton the new process and guidelines.
This model of change management is highly used by various organisation but it is time consuming when implemented. Still many organisation prefers to use this model in adopting a change.
McKinsey 7-S Model
This model offers a healthy approach to business. The Mckinsey model was developed by Robert Waterman, Richard Pascale, Tom peters and Anthony Athos during a conference in the year 1978. There are 7 factors operating as a collective agents of change according to the model -
- Strategy: These are the ways by which organisation can gain the competitive advantage by implementing the different tactics.
- Shared values: It is the subordinate gaols which is being primary made by the organisation, which states the core values of the venture which is being supported by the corporate culture and ethical work of the venture.
- Structure: This the way which states that who will be reporting to whom. When the venture is going to implement the change then there is increase in the different authorities in the organisation.
- Systems: it is the activities and procedures which need to be done by the members of the organisation in order to do their work. When the venture is going to implement the different changes then they need to change the job responsibilities and activities
- Staff: There are the employees of the organisation who have capabilities to complete their roles and responsibilities in order to attain the goal of organisation. All the activities and operations are need to be done by the employees so they need to be very effective and efficient.
- Style: It is the leadership style adopted by the leader in the organisation. There are different changes that are made by the venture, in order to implement the changes, firm need effective leader who can influence employees to accept the changes.
- Skills: These are the actual competencies of the employees who are working in the organisation. Employees should have effective skills and experience so that they can work in an effective way.
The four benefits of the Mc Kinsey 7-S models are as follows -
It offers effective guidance in business change.
It provides an impressive technique to understand and diagnose an business or organisation.
It combines emotional and rational elements.
All areas or parts are important and should be considered in a effective manner.
Disadvantages of the McKinsey model
- Differences are skipped or ignored.
- It is a complex model.
- All factors are interrelated if one part changes it affects all the parts.
- The organisations using this model have major risks of failure(Khattak and et.al,2013).
Kotter's 8 step change model
The Kotter's 8 change management model was developed by a professor of Harvard university, John Kotter. This caused change in order to create a campaign, there are 8 steps in this model -
- Increasing the urgency for change: It is the way where organisation find that they need to implement the different changes in their system
- Building a change dedicated team: decided the members and then create a team who will implement the change in the organisation.
- Creating a vision for change: Proper aim and objectives of the change is created by the team which serve guidance to the employees.
- Communicating the need for change: Further, the change plan is being communicated to all the members who are going to implement the change in the organisation.
- Effective workforce with the capabilities to change: The internal analysis have been done to find the strength and weakness of the organisation in order to find that they can implement the change.
- Developing short term objectives: On the basis of aim and goal, different short term objectives are planned by the team
- Staying Persistent: Finally change implement in the different parts and departments of the venture
- Creating a permanent change: Implemented change is being continues till the result is attained.
Important advantages of the model
- The procedure is an easy step by step model.
- Change is easy with the use of this model.
- This model is focusing on accepting and preparing change.
Disadvantages of the Kotter's 8 step change model
- It is time consuming
- Each and every step is important, and cant be missed or skipped.
The change can be in the process of general operations and project planning. Any change is difficult to be adjusted by the organisation or the employees. Each and every model described above can be helpful for a change management and achieve the desired results.
TASK 3 : Compare and contrast the approach of the MAS Holdings.
The MAS Holdings focused on the Sustainability, considering the three basic components, The organisation performs good practices aligned with the corporate governance initiatives. The next is to be socially sustainable, MAS Holdings developed a workforce in which the diversity is encouraged. Women empowerment, non-discriminatory policies and the major positions are being held by differently-able individuals were some of the initiatives. The organisation enhanced their presence in the various areas such as operating systems, strategic investments and information technologies which was a beneficial action in order to increase the productivity, performance and profitability of the MAS Holdings. The firm can use the McKinsey 7-S Model in order to implemen tthe different changes in the organisation.
The MAS Holdings adopted the TPS (Toyota Production System) which states that the organisation should set lean or short term objective and principle for the manufacturing process. The organisation achieved benefits from this approach as the lean thinking and processes effectively contributed in the development and welfare of the different stakeholders such as employees, shareholder, customers and partners of the business. The organisation could have adopted various change management models in order to reduce the negative impacts of the change and ensure that the change is adopted by the organisation as well as the employees of the firm. The entering in to the manufacturing area or industry was a great change in the organisation and its business operations. Mass Holdings developed its business by including the international brands like Calvin Klein, Victoria's secret etc in the products brands. This helped a lot to gain global presence and increase the customers which results to increase in the number of customers. While implementing the change in the organisation the company did not focus on the the local market or increasing the products which was a major draw back of the change management within the Mass Holdings, the change management models were not effectively applied by the company in adopting change(Matos and Esposito,2014). The organisation's change management was focused on a specific objective which was the manufacturing or sewing of the apparels by hiring women from the rural areas which reserved the scope of the change to the manufacturing or production of apparel and only the lingerie or intimate wear the products. The change management was just trying to support the organisation ton hire the employees, taking work to them and increase the production of the intimate wear. According to the change management models mentioned above an organisation needs to focus on each and every aspects or areas of the business in order to gain the benefits of the change implemented within the organisation.
TASK 4 : Strength and weaknesses of the MAS Holdings.
- Trained and effective workforce or staff â€" The MAS Holdings has a great strength which is the effective and skilled workforce. The organisation has established a successful and leading organisation with the help of skilled and trained employees. The company analysed the most effective talent from different areas specially the rural area women who are skilled in sewing the apparel. The organisation provided them with new technology machines and equipment which contributed in their performance and empowered them with more effectiveness and efficiency. The company created a strong and powerful workforce by hiring hard-working and talented employees in order to increase the performance and productivity of the overall firm.
- Modern technologies â€" The next strength of the MAS Holdings is the modern and innovative technology. The Organisation bought high tech sewing machines for the employees in order to manufacture the lingerie. This helped a lot in increasing the efficiency of the workers and leading to increase in the production. The machines and equipments is therefore a major strength of the organisation(KovaÄ,2017).
- Strong relationship with the suppliers â€" The MAS Holdings is itself a leading supplier of all the top most intimate wear brands. The organisation gets the products supplied and then distribute it through different channels. The MAS Holding is operating its business since a long time, this has enabled them to develop a strong and effective relationship with the suppliers and distributors. This relationship helps the organisation to carry out the business operations effectively.
- Low labour costs - The MAS Holdings established the manufacturing plants at the country side or rural area. This helped them to hire labour at low costs. The low cost labour results in the increase of profit margin. Therefore, the low cost labour is a major strength of the organisation.
- Less staff turnover as compared to other countries â€" The turnover refers to the percentage of employees leaving the organisation is less in the country MAS Holdings operate its business operations which assist the company to smoothly perform the organisational activities.
- Improper knowledge in local market area â€" The MAS Holdings has a major weakness which is the lack in knowledge about the local market. The MAS Holdings focuses on the international brands and trading which ignore the organisation to gain knowledge about the local marketplace or area.
- Mainly depending upon casual and intimate wear â€" The another weakness of the organisation the dependence on the casual and intimate wear, the company can gain more success and achievements if start trading other and innovative products. Due to lack in products options the MAS Holdings is reserved at a specific reach and range of customers.
- MAS Holdings' customer's lack of brand awareness â€" The customers of MAS Holdings lack in awareness of the brand. The people does not recognise the brand at a high level, due to the lack in awareness the organisation losses its customers and reserve the number of customers and hence avoid the growth and development of the market-share.
TASK 5 : Recommendations for improvements with relating to change management.
The change management helps an organisation like MAS holdings to meet the changes. That are been taken into consideration by the company to improve the quality of the company. It will help the company to cope up with the changes that are been implemented in the organisation to improve its productivity and profitability of the company. Besides this, it will also help the company to work in an efficient manner to meet the market goals. From the research, this can be said that an organisation like MAS holdings, has to cope up with the changes that are been held in the company for increasing its profit margins with the loyalty of the employees and customers. From the analysis it can be said theta the major issue faced by the organisation is the mass departure of the employees from the company that helps the company to meet the manufacturing demands of the market. The changes have to be highly precise and appropriate for the elegant and efficient success of the changes that are to be made and faced by MAS holdings. Some recommendations that can be made to improve the change managements are:
* Self reflection: The MAS holding will look after the process of self reflection and assessment in order to gain a better idea about the changes that are been made at the organisation. The executives or the managers will look after the efficient measures to make the company cope up with the changes that are been made in the management of the company. This will help the company to analyse their potential with the strength and weaknesses that can affect the operations of the company. Also, it will help the company to make better plan to implement the changes and find out the reason for the departure of employees(Cameron and Green,2015).
- * Maintaining a better communication: The MAS holding has to look after the improvement
- in its communication process, both on internal and the external level of its operations in order to
- Identify the core factors of the mass departure of the employees from the company. Other than
- This it will help the company to understand as well as guide the proper implementation of the
- Change measures that are been implemented in the organisation.
* Applying the transition: A transition is a process that includes the visible effect of the changes or measures that are been implemented in the management of the organisation. In MAS holding, the transition effect of the measures that are been implemented by the company will be visible to the employees that are leaving the job. This approach will help the company to monitor and meet the requirements of the employees as well as the customers in the market. The transition effects or the measures that are been implemented in the company can be considered as the standard or limit of the changes that are been taken into consideration at the MAS holdings(Haslam and et.al, 2014).
In the present report it has been recognised about the background to change management in the MAS Holdings organisation. Other than that, it is concluded that the issues in the company which it faced while adopting a change. Along with this, in the present report it is also concluded that organisation should use some effective changes for manage the entire organisational work. Furthermore, The report includes the various change management models such as McKinsey model, Kotter's model of change etc which helps an organisation to implement the change effectively.
You Can Also Reach to our Other Assignment Help Services From the Popular category like Cheap Assignment Help and Assignment Help London.
Books and JournalsÂ
Hayes, J., 2014.Â The theory and practice of change management. Palgrave Macmillan.
Doppelt, B., 2017.Â Leading change toward sustainability: A change-management guide for business, government and civil society. Routledge.
Cameron, E. and Green, M., 2015.Â Making sense of change management: A complete guide to the models, tools and techniques of organizational change. Kogan Page Publishers.
Haslam, S.A., van Knippenberg, D., Platow, M.J. and Ellemers, N. eds., 2014.Â Social identity at work: Developing theory for organizational practice. Psychology Press.
Matos Marques Simoes, P. and Esposito, M., 2014. Improving change management: How communication nature influences resistance to change.Â Journal of Management Development,Â 33(4), pp.324-341.
Khattak, A.M., Latif, K. and Lee, S., 2013. Change management in evolving web ontologies.Â Knowledge-Based Systems,Â 37, pp.1-18.
Gattermeyer, W. and Al-Ani, A. eds., 2013.Â Change Management und Unternehmenserfolg: Grundlagenâ€"Methodenâ€"Praxisbeispiele. Springer-Verlag.
Bateh, J., Castaneda, M.E. and Farah, J.E., 2013. Employee resistance to organizational change.Â International Journal of Management & Information Systems (Online),Â 17(2), p.113.
KovaÄ, J., 2017. Dimensions of organizational change.Â Management: journal of contemporary management issues,Â 5(1), pp.73-81.