Reflective Case Study Report by New Assignment Help
Reflective Case Study Report
Introduction Of Reflective Case Study Report
Get free written samples from subject experts and Assignment Writing in UK.
The primary realization of this project is to perform a careful analysis of a preferred endeavor and to explore different themes linked to it. The word agile methodologies may be described as the practice of guiding the activities of a team to accomplish the desired results within a certain period. The chosen research will concentrate on the project The 2012 Olympics Infrastructure. The research should specifically outline the site's function, efficacy, and also the factors that led to the development's shortcomings (Lockstone-Binney, and et.al., 2016). A suggestion will be offered based on the crucial items that were lacking from the program. The recommendations will help to understand the future perspective of organizing an event that helps to give better chances of clarity. It provides an idea about the lack of activities that are required to be completed to achieve the goals of an event.
1.1 Role of the project in providing an organizational approach
The project management role is important to implementing the strategies of the company systematically along with the commanding system. Further, it includes growing obligations of operations, and designing for the actual work is essential to consider the goals of the business. In addition, the administrative strategy involves the way a company deploys its assets to accomplish a particular task, such as a commercial or plan. There are more than 200 countries that participate in the Olympics, which is considered to be the world's first game competition. An overview of the role of the 2012 Olympic infrastructure in delivering the Olympics' corporal strategy can be found in this segment of the study (Jennings, 2012).
At the time when London was chosen to have the 2012 Olympic Games, one of the biggest concerns for the Organizing Committee was to fulfill an ability to abstain from parting with any 'white elephants' by creating extremely durable settings where a legacy could be established. Since the Games have been over one year, this charge has now been satisfied. It was one of the important objectives of the London 2012 Olympics to encourage the citizen participation across a variety of games, to transform east London into a sustainable city while increasing the participation of London's citizens across a variety of games as well as to provide broader financial opportunity within and outside of the city. Additionally, London 2012 contributed greatly to the emergence of a strong and innovative philosophy to demonstrate the by-products of fossil fuel on monumental occasions. It was subsequently embraced by the Rio 2016 Games, and also developed by the IOC in 2019 into a sustainable methodology for the approximation of the number of carbon emissions generated by the Olympic Games. A massive opportunity to raise the standards will arise in our move toward the Olympics by raising the standards in the way these enormous actions will kindle the benefits for the community and economy in the years to come. As a whole, it can be stated that the 2012 Olympic Games have greatly contributed to the accomplishment of the organizational strategy by focusing on the city's growth (Marrero-Guillamón, 2012).
1.2 Procedure for initiating, planning, and handling projects
Olympic Games in London were held from 27th July to 12th August 2012, and they were a global multi-game event. In female soccer, the first occasion took place at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on 25th July, followed by an open session on 27th July. At the 117th IOC Session in Singapore on 6 July 2005, London was selected over Moscow, New York City, Madrid, and Paris as the host nation. Previous Olympic winner Sebastian Coe led the bid, which was led by London chairman Ken Livingstone. The bidding process was used to win the opportunity to host the Olympics 2012 in London, therefore they had used project management to achieve their goal. In addition to hosting the Summer Olympics in 1908 and 1948, London became the first city to host the existing Olympics three times. Re-innovation and sustainability were emphasized during the construction of the Games. Additionally, before the bidding process, the sport deployed the already-presented sites.
Creating a sustainable environment for the 2012 Olympics was the main reason for bidding. Sustainable planning was incorporated into London's 2012 bid as well as its promise of establishing active sites throughout the country wherever possible as well as its commitment to designing enduring structures that would endure after the games had finished (Kennelly, and Watt, 2011). The actual plan for developing the Olympics is discussed below:
The plan of sustainability for Olympic 2012 was mainly focused on five elements:
- Environmental Changes: To reduce ozone-depleting substances and ensure that heritage facilities are capable of adjusting to climate changes, this plan was centered on reducing emissions and ensuring adaptability
- Squander: In the second plan, waste would be properly handled at each stage of the project, avoiding the need to transport unwanted to landfills, and enabling a new waste management system in East London to expand.
- Incorporation: Making a new effort, guidance, and business possible access to the whole of London and the UK, commending the diversity of the city and the country.
Finance, assessment, and control of expenses are the three most important processes of project administration (Boykoff, and Fussey, 2014). For such a big event like Olympic Games, the given procedure helps to control the activities of the occasion and facilitate the companies to achieve the goals. Keeping time is crucial when planning big events like the Olympics since the Games must take place during the prearranged time due to the large number of people involved and the complex processes involved. Overall, any big project like the Olympics needs a strict budgeting system and proper timeframe to succeed. It is important to take proper decisions as per the requirement of the situation.
2.1 Stakeholder management
A research study shows the Olympics have multiple partners in addition to a transformation from bidding to designing, as well as a wrap-up time. Further, the management of stakeholders is mainly carried out in such a manner:
- Partner’s identification: The workers who are paid short-term and long-term are also referred to as suppliers' specialists, seconders, as well as workers who are not paid at all. It is the responsibility of the staff to organize the Games daily, organizing with other departments and internal gatherings, as well as with the various partners related to their particular area of responsibility (Parent, 2013).
- Revising the stakeholder: This step allows the Olympics to identify the partners that are vital to them, and based on that, they make a contact list. Olympians are generally influenced by the UK regime, OCOG employees, Olympic assemblies, and organizers. It is important to review stakeholders in a better and more appropriate manner for considering the activities.
- Give priority to sponsors: A specific issue of attention and the point of opinion of the administration determine the significance of the various partner teams.
- Contact stakeholders: After identifying all the stakeholders, the final stage of stakeholder management is selecting the main stakeholders and working with them. Participants in the Olympics OCOG include the employees of the Games, the UK regime, collections, and organizers. Considering all of these, it can be said that stakeholder management plays a very important role in designing and planning the entire event. Taking all of these things into account, stakeholder management plays a very important role in designing and planning the event and ensuring its success (San Cristóbal, and et.al., 2018).
2.2 Problem-solving and decision making
Making decisions as well as solving problems is not an indemnity. During this phase, the issue's context is determined. According to Olympic 2012 committee, the head of the committee should wait until the issue has been adequately comprehended before creating a proper ruling. The Olympics, from the start, have been a huge event, and therefore have been associated with many problems. The country that wins the bidding to host the Olympics, therefore, has the main responsibility for properly addressing the issues. There has been a persistent transformation in all areas of the Olympics as it is recognized as being the top sporting event worldwide (Hair, and Sarstedt, 2021). Mostly, the objective was to highlight the request for a game that is as fascinating to observers as possible, yet with a fair decision-making process for game officials. By embracing innovation, the game has been able to accomplish this. As a result, the game embraces advancements in innovation. Currently, there are various modifications, throughout the game, the actions of e-based score defenses, the live video audit presented during the match, the quantities of match refereeing officials, the point-scoring standards, opposition region aspects, as well as changes to the rivalry rules and changes to the clarifications of the referees. The process of decision-making changes with the activities of risk management so it is essential to solving issues to take proper decisions in the event.
2.3 Management of Risk
Risk management is regarded as the finest and most powerful method of management. Rules, as well as techniques, must be created for its creation for its use to result in continual improvement in navigation. By the 2012b Olympic committee, risk management constitutes a sound and organized method for establishing the fundamentals, making classifications, assessing, monitoring as well as interacting with the risks associated with a specific game as well as how to use established methods to assist companies to reduce their shortage and capitalize on opportunities (Müller, Drouin, and Sankaran, 2019). Additionally, the 2012 Olympics will also consider the community decision as a significant tool for risk management. By applying the evacuation strategy, the community aid to winning may be evaluated and the games may be conducted more effectively, thus reducing the unforeseen risk. As the only bid in the second phase of judging, London 2012 did not lead this national prominence challenge, following only New York. Meanwhile, the opportunity of general valuation and limitations remain governmental concerns for administrations and managers. In addition, they created a risk medium to classify the probability of incidence of the risk and then took actions to moderate it. As a whole, it is clear that the 2012 Olympics had a properly managed risk management, which complete countless occasions of that year.
3.1 How effective project management is accomplished, and what factors are lacking
Different factors contribute to a project's success in the project administration process. Various stakeholders may affect the project's outcome, and how they conduct it can vary greatly. Following are some factors that added to the achievement of the 2012 Olympic Games, as well as some things that were absent from the occasion (Tereso, and et.al., 2019).
- In preparation for the whole game, the 2012 Olympic London group made definite that the players complicated had the necessary skills to deliver the desired outcome as well as a positive attitude towards the project. In addition, they also confirmed that all the companions involved in the event would operate efficiently. Thus in this sense, a group that is motivated to work towards a common goal is essential.
- Another plus of the Olympics 2012 was the methodical way they handled the whole event. It takes a lot of work from venture executives to set up everything so that the games can be played in a coordinated way for it to be a great event. Moreover, it was observed that all of the Olympic partners understood and agreed on the need to save time when assessing elucidated scheme drives.
Moreover, the 2012 Olympics also faces a different level of critics along with the success. In addition to this, at the time of considering the criticism, it has been examined that the safety of the brand is analyzed as a big aspect of criticism. Thus, aside from this, contestants who are barred from drug use suffer from a serious lack of suitability (Lockstone-Binney, and et.al., 2018).
3.2 Recommendations for the future
Following are some of the important things to consider so that sports events like the 2012 Olympics will be a success.
- A sports committee should pay the most attention to the design of the entire sporting event as it is the most important aspect to consider (Kobierecka, and Kobierecki, 2020). It is important to identify the huge image as well as create the accrual requirements of the entire endeavor in the designing stage. The budget and timeframe should also be planned with attention to the well-being of the players and sponsors too in addition to a comfortable stay for all of them.
- Another essential step is promoting the entire occasion correctly. A game has a huge advertising impact, which means the stakeholders and the occurrence executive will have several rivalries. To advertise the event, it is significant that the event coordinator and marketer generate attention-grabbing event logos and names; then, posters must be designed to make them noticeable to the masses (Zhang, and Liu, 2022).
- In the next phase, the game has to be correctly hosted, which usually means taking into version the weather conditions, from which they prerequisite to strategy for any kind of indecision they may experience. The health and protection of the people who participate in the game should also be taken into consideration. In addition, they should make it noticeable by using the community television so that people can attend the program which helps to make an event more hit for the people. It can be recommended that the use of social media increase the presence of people which helps to make changes in the thinking people. There is a high influence of social media as it is important to promote the event activities based on performing the activities.
- Last but not least, follow-up of the overall event helps to analyze the various limitations that are needed to be correct for the future purpose of the event. It can be suggested to follow various rules for conducting an event that is beneficial for the success of the occasion (Shipway, and et.al., 2020). It will create a valuable impact on the people as well as participants in the future course of action. However, it provides different forms of learning about organizing an event with the help of different organizers and their varied ideas for developing the activities. It helps to develop various activities in a positive and impactful way in the future.
Accordingly, from the above-studied results, project management plays a very important role in delivering and conducting a project properly. The study indicates that to plan a massive sports event, a lot of project management tools will be required. As a result, every aspect of the project will be successful. Furthermore, the study found that the Olympics were a great success due to a number several factors providing learning about the contribution of various people and their efforts for making changes in the Olympic Games. It proves to be effective for the success of the event that enables the people to deliver their best services. Thus, the event organizers need to develop changes based on the requirement of the event and create a valuable impact on the occasion.
Boykoff, J. and Fussey, P., 2014. London's shadow legacies: security and activism at the 2012 Olympics. Contemporary social science, 9(2), pp.253-270.
Hair, J.F. and Sarstedt, M., 2021. Explanation plus prediction—The logical focus of project management research. Project Management Journal, 52(4), pp.319-322.
Jennings, W., 2012. Why costs overrun: risk, optimism and uncertainty in budgeting for the London 2012 Olympic Games. Construction Management and Economics, 30(6), pp.455-462.
Kennelly, J. and Watt, P., 2011. Sanitizing public space in Olympic host cities: The spatial experiences of marginalized youth in 2010 Vancouver and 2012 London. Sociology, 45(5), pp.765-781.
Kobierecka, A. and Kobierecki, M.M., 2020. The International Olympic Committee’s struggle against growing gigantism of the Olympic Games. Hosting the Olympic games: Uncertainty, debates and controversy, pp.39-50.
Lockstone-Binney, L., Holmes, K., Shipway, R. and Smith, K.A., 2016. Evaluating the volunteering infrastructure legacy of the Olympic Games: Sydney 2000 and London 2012. Final Report.
Lockstone-Binney, L., Holmes, K., Smith, K.A. and Shipway, R., 2018. The role of corporates in creating sustainable Olympic legacies. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 26(11), pp.1827-1844.
Marrero-Guillamón, I., 2012. Olympic state of exception. The art of dissent: Adventures in London’s Olympic state, pp.20-29.
Müller, R., Drouin, N. and Sankaran, S., 2019. Modeling organizational project management. Project Management Journal, 50(4), pp.499-513.
Parent, M.M., 2013. Olympic Games stakeholder governance and management. In Managing the Olympics (pp. 15-32). Palgrave Macmillan, London.
San Cristóbal, J.R., Carral, L., Diaz, E., Fraguela, J.A. and Iglesias, G., 2018. Complexity and project management: A general overview. Complexity, 2018.
Shipway, R., Lockstone-Binney, L., Holmes, K. and Smith, K.A., 2020. Perspectives on the volunteering legacy of the London 2012 Olympic Games: The development of an event legacy stakeholder engagement matrix. Event management, 24(5), pp.645-659.
Tereso, A., Ribeiro, P., Fernandes, G., Loureiro, I. and Ferreira, M., 2019. Project management practices in private organizations. Project Management Journal, 50(1), pp.6-22.
Zhang, B. and Liu, Y., 2022. Research on Sustainable Development of Olympic Games Based on Ecological Carrying Capacity Analysis. Journal of Sensors, 2022.