Leadership and Change development Assignment by New Assignment Help
Introduction Of Leadership and Change development
Get free written samples by our Top-Notch subject experts and Assignment Helper team.
The report will be grounded on the Medavia Aviation organization which is based in the UK. Medavia Aviation Company was established in 1978. The organization has a high experience in the operation line of maintenance stations. The company has been providing many services like aircraft charter brokerage, ground handling, Continuing Airworthiness, aircraft operations, and so on. The company has been facing many issues by which they are not getting the growth. To address those issues this report will be developed with the solution for eliminating the issues.
In this report, a detailed description of the current leadership situation will be identified while addressing the issues of the company that they are facing currently. Further, in this report, a detailed description of how those issues will be eliminated by the company will be given. A short description of the leanings of the module will also be given.
Current Leadership Situation
The autocratic leadership style has been followed by the company to lead the employees in an established manner and to get success in the future (Luqman et al, 2020). Due to this leadership style, the employees are not getting enough motivation to do the work in the organization. The autocratic leadership style means that the leader of the company has been making the decisions on his own without consulting the employees in the organization. The autocratic leadership style demotivates the employees and does not value the suggestions of customers. This will demotivate the employees and hence decrease their productivity. Due to this leadership style followed by Medavia Aviation some issues have been facing them which will explain further.
Issues facing by the company due to current leadership style
Medavia Aviation Company which has based in the UK has been facing many issues in the organization (Tran et al, 2020). The issues are described below:
- Lack of motivation: Lack of motivation is one of the main issues which has been facing by the employees of Medavia Aviation. This issue has been arising because the leader has not been involving the employees in their decision-making process. For increasing productivity in the organization, motivation is necessary for the employees but in this company, the employees are demotivated with their work.
- Conflicts between the employees: This issue has been enabled with the organization while not identifying the individual needs of the employees in the organization. The leader has been giving the final decision to the employees which have a negative impact on their productivity (Adha et al, 2020).
- Violation of ethics: Ethics are important in the organization but the Medavia Aviation Company has been facing these issues also.
- Increased employee turnover rate: When the employees are not satisfied with their job it will lead to an increase in the turnover rate. The Medavia Aviation employees are not motivated because the leader is seeing them only as a worker who is doing their work as per their boss orders. They are not feeling them be an important asset of the organization whose presence is more important like the customer's loyalty to the organization.
- No development either on individual or group level: Because of not involving the employees in the decision-making process, the Medavia Aviation leaders also not focusing on their group as well as individual needs which also remain them as they are. It means no development or improvement has happened to the employees. The suggestions of the employees are not welcoming by the leader so it will not enables the development at the individual level which remains Medavia Aviation at the same place where it has been started.
- Negative impact on the growth of the company: It has been identified that due to all these issues the Medavia Aviation organization has not been getting a competitive advantage in the market which also impacts the growth of the company (Shaban et al, 2017). If the employees are demotivated then it will lead to a decrease in productivity and hence the growth slows down which will have a negative impact on the minds of the customers.
All the above issues can be detected by the Medavia Aviation organization with the help of Maslow's need Hierarchy theory (Zavei and Jusan, 2017). All the levels of this model have not been fulfilled by the Medavia Aviation organization. They are not motivated due to not involving in the decision-making process which affects their safety and security needs. They are not sure about the security because the leader is not asking them anything related to their work. The psychological needs are also not fulfilled by Medavia Aviation because there is no financial stability for the employees. With the help of Maslow's need hierarchy, the Medavia Aviation organization has an idea about the issues that are going with which the productivity of all the employees decreasing.
The issues of the Medavia Aviation organization have been also impacting the culture of the organization negatively. It has been identified that if the employees of Medavia Aviation are not motivated then it will decrease the productivity of employees which hampers the growth in the organization. Apart from the culture of the organization, Medavia Aviation has been following the complex organizational structure which has not been giving clarity to the employees about whom they will report to?
Figure 1: Complex organizational structure followed by Medavia Aviation
With the help of the above image, it can be identified that Medavia Aviation has been following the complex organizational structure which has not given clarity to the employees. This has been hampering the current style of leadership without having growth in the organization (Komljenovic, Loiselle and Kumral, 2017). This organizational structure of Medavia Aviation company is very complex which is not understandable by the customers also. This is the type of rigid structure of the company in which it may possible that the employee of the Medavia Aviation company has to report the three managers at the same time which can create confusion for him.
Rationale- Why should the current situation change?
The current situation related to the leadership in the organization should be changed by the managers of Medavia Aviation because it has been decreasing the productivity of the organization while hampering the reputation of the company in the minds of the customers. There are some strong reasons for which the Medavia Aviation Company should change their current situation in the organization which is as follows:
- Role modeling is crucial: For the success of the organization, Medavia Aviation must involve the employees in the decision-making process. As there is no role model for the employees because of the tough leadership style followed by the managers. Thus, a role model is crucial for the growth of the organization.
- Decreased in employee's productivity: While analyzing the current situation, it has been found out the employees of Medavia Aviation are not fully satisfied with their job due to a lack of motivation and communication which hampers their productivity. However, for the success of the organization, increment in the productivity of the employees is important (Gosnell, List and Metcalfe, 2020). This is the main motto through the Medavia Aviation company has to change their current leadership style because it may possible that if they will not get the growth in the business they can lose the loyal customers.
- Followership issues: With the current leadership style in the Medavia Aviation organization, the organization and the employees have been facing some followership issues which include high costs, bad morale, a distraction from the goals, product quality issues, weak competitiveness, unsatisfied customers, and so on. Due to this reason, they have to change their current leadership situation in the organization.
- The drivers for the change: It has been identified that the Medavia Aviation organization has been facing the problem related to the lack of motivation and conflict management which are the most drivers of the organization that requires change for success in the organization (Tsai et al, 2019).
- The internal and external stimuli of the employees are also important which has not been fulfilled by the Medavia Aviation organization. The internal stimuli of the employees are motivation, appraisal, promotion, recognition & rewards, and so on. On the other hand, the external stimuli include the financial stability with which they can fulfill the requirements of their family. Both types of stimuli have not been fulfilled so it is important to change the current leadership situation by the Medavia Aviation Company.
The suitable Change
The major issues identified in Medavia Aviation are lack of motivation among employees and a rise in conflicting situations among the employees. The company has been facing these issues for so long which have now needed to be resolved. The specified issues need to be changed because it has led to decrease the productivity of Medavia Aviation which has been impacting the company’s growth negatively. Also, the issues have been leading to increase the employee turnover rate. The organization has been losing some of their most valuable employees because of the lack of motivation and conflicts happening in the company.
To resolve these issues, a suitable change is needed to be made. The issues have been happening due to the authoritative leadership style has been followed by the leaders of Medavia Aviation. Also, because of the non-clear authority-responsibility relationships among the employees which can be seen in the organizational structure discussed in the above section, the conflicts have been arising in the organization.
Change Leadership Situation
To bring the change, a new style of leadership that is the participative leadership is suggested for the leaders of Medavia Aviation. Participative leadership is the one in which has its roots in the democratic style of leading and managing people. The core focus of participative leadership style is to involve the employees in the decision-making process of organization (Sheshi and Kercini, 2017). The purpose to bring this change is to make the employees of Medavia Aviation feel motivated and engaged to contribute in achievement of organizational mission, goals, and objectives. This changed leadership style will help Medavia Aviation to decrease conflicts in the company.
Along with implementation of participative leadership style to change the current situation as discussed above, a leadership pipeline can also be incorporated in Medavia Aviation (Ghaffari et al, 2017). The purpose of incorporation of this leadership pipeline is to segregate the leaders in the hierarchy of organization and to have leaders at every level. Leadership pipeline will help to have seven different levels of leaders which will foster the flow of productivity in the organization. Having guidance and support at every level will help the employees to stay motivated and it will also be beneficial to reduce the chances of arising any conflicting situation (Baker, Lunsford and Pifer, 2019).
Conflict Management Model
The outcomes can be achieved more effectively by implementing a conflict management model in the organization. This model was proposed by Kilmann and Thomas. The model involves five different strategies to manage conflicts which will work to resolve the conflict issues of Medavia Aviation (McKoy 2018). The model shows two axis- vertical and horizontal. The vertical one represents the degree of concern one may have for own goals and interests. Whereas, the horizontal one denotes the degree of concern one may have for the interests and goals of other people.
The model will allow the leaders of Medavia Aviation to understand the behavior of employees in different conflicts situations. The strategies present under the model depict different types of behavior which leaders can see among different employees (Patton 2018). These can be viewed as strategies to resolve conflicts because until and unless the leaders would not know their behavior, resolving conflicts would be impossible. The strategies include:
- Avoiding: It refers to the uncooperative and unassertive behavior of employees in any conflicting situation. The employee having this kind of behavior/attitude neither concern about own interests nor about others. So, ultimately, the employee having this behavior will not like to deal with the conflict at all. He/she will simply choose to avoid the conflict diplomatically. These employees either sidestep the issues or postpone to discuss the same.
- Competing: The employees having this kind of attitude are always uncooperative and assertive towards the conflicts. These are the employees who look over their own concerns on the expenses of the concern of someone else (Stephan 2020). The employees having competing attitude always defend a position which they believe is correct or they simply try to win whether they are wrong in the conflict or not.
- Collaborating: The employees who have collaborative attitude are both cooperative and assertive. These employees, in a conflicting situation, try to find out a solution with which the concern of others can be satisfied and their own concern can be satisfied too. Employees with this attitude tries to explore the insights of their colleagues over a particular situation and then try to understand it for resolving the conflict.
Source: Amaresan 2020
- Accommodating: With this attitude, the employees neglect own concern of objectives just to achieve the others level of concerns. These employees have an attitude to accommodate or compromise for the good of others. These employees are helpful to resolve conflicts because they have selfless attitude and they are ready to sacrifice easily.
- Compromising: This attitude of employees demonstrates a moderate level of cooperativeness and assertiveness. The employees having this attitude always try to find out a solution for the conflict which is mutually beneficial. This kind of attitude of employees fall between accommodating and competing. The employees who believe in compromising likely to address the conflict directly.
This model should be used by Medavia Aviation to identify the attitude of their employees towards the issues of conflicting situations company is facing (Dimas et al, 2018). Once the attitude of employees will be identified, the leaders of the company will be able to address the issue properly and would also be able to resolve it well.
Benefits of adapting the change
- One of the major advantages to bring this change in Medavia Aviation is that participative leaders will definitely going to help to increase the level of employee motivation which has been low with the current way of leading them. The motivation level and the level of job satisfaction, both will increase by bringing this change in the organization. It is because employee motivation and job satisfaction have a positive relationship
- The conflicts among employees which has been an issue in Medavia Aviation will be decreased with the adaptation of participative leadership style. It is because when the employees will get to involve more in the decision-making process, they will be able to understand everything more clearly (Mohiuddin and Mohteshamuddin, 2020). This will lead to avoid any kind of confusion among them which will ultimately reduce the chances of conflicts
- Other benefit of adapting this changed leadership style is enhancement of level of creativity in Medavia Aviation. When the employees will get to be more involved in the decision-making process, the scope of them being creative will get enhanced
- Leadership Pipeline will help to have the clarity over hierarchy of leaders. The employees will be able to get support and guidance over every step which will avoid confusion and conflicts. Having clarity about the hierarchy and types of leaders in the organization will allow the employees to boost their confidence level. It will be helpful to take Medavia Aviation to new heights
Achievement of Outcome
The ultimate outcome or the purpose of bringing this change in leadership of Medavia Aviation is to resolve the issues the company has been facing. The chances of achieving the outcome or to achieve the purpose with participative leadership style is high because this works exactly the way it is required in Medavia Aviation. Participative leadership style is perfect for this organization which will likely to help to achieve the ultimate outcomes of bringing the change. The issues will hopefully be reduced and by the time will resolved completely.
Implementation of Change
It is not enough for Medavia Aviation to identify what changes are needed to be done, but the organization need to plan for how the change will be brought in the organization. Managing the change and the way it will be handled in future is needed to be planned in advance. Change management is nothing but preparing the individuals- the employees and the organization as a whole to adapt the changes implemented in the organization. Change management is not an easy process as it sounds. Medavia Aviation needs to adapt change management models like Kotter’s 8-step model of change to manage the whole process of implementing new leadership style and conflict management process in the company.
Kotter’s Change Management Model
- Step 1: Creation of an Urgency
In this step, the sense of urgency is created by the leaders. With the help of this step the leaders of Medavia Aviation finds out the opportunities with which the change can be done in the organization. The leaders create an urgency in this situation with which they establish the vitality of change in the organization. At this step, the leaders identify and highlight threats which company may face if it would not bring the change.
- Step 2: Guiding Coalitions
This step is about formulation of coalitions to support the change. The leaders will recognize key stakeholders of Medavia Aviation and request them to be involved in the change. The coalition of stakeholders and some valuable employees who are highly skilled will be formed.
- Step 3: Development of the vision
The leaders will determine values Medavia Aviation, the vision and mission of the organization (Rajan and Ganesan, 2017). The vision is needed to be identified to realize the need for change and to strategize the process of implementing it.
- Step 4: Communicate the Vision
As soon as leaders identify organizational vision, they will share it with everyone and convince them on its basis to bring leadership change in the organization. While communicating the vision of Medavia Aviation and relating it to the need for change, the change management leaders would need to address concern of employees regarding this and ensure their involvement in it.
- Step 5: Removing the Obstacles
Once the leaders will communicate the vision, they will look upon the obstacles the feel will resist the change. Once the issues and obstacles are identified, these need to be addressed well and resolved by the change management leaders. The leaders will ensure that the organizational structure and the processes of Medavia Aviation will be in place so that it will support the change.
Creating short-term wins means setting milestones and celebrate the achievement of every milestone whether it is just a small one. Celebrating small success will boost the motivation of employees to move forward on the path of change to achieve the end goal. The change management leaders of Medavia Aviation can also provide rewards to those who contribute the most in achieving the milestones. It will help other employees as well to perform better in the wish of getting rewards and recognition.
- Step 7: Consolidation of the Gains
The success stories of Medavia Aviation need to be reviewed by the leaders and motivation should be given to employees with those examples of success. Both the individual and group experiences needed to be shared and make it a part of change management process. It is because these current stories may motivate other employees in future.
- Step 8: Make the change stick
The last step is to make this change an important part of the culture of organization. The change management leaders would ensure that this new style of leadership and the conflict management process will become an integral part of the culture of Medavia Aviation. This step is the last stage of change management process in which the leaders will ensure that this change will stick in future until when it will be required.
With the help of the leadership and change management module, I have identified and learned various things about the organization which has changed my perception regarding the issues facing Medavia Aviation. I have analyzed that the major issues that have been facing Medavia Aviation are lack of motivation and conflict management with which the company is not getting the growth. So with the help of this module, I have learned that the company should follow a suitable leadership style that will motivate the employees and resolve the conflicts between the employees. I have learned from the module content about the leadership pipeline through which I have perceived that there should be a categorization of the leaders at every level in the organization and having leaders at different stages of the organizational structure helps employees both at the individual level and the organization as a whole so I believe that incorporating leadership pipeline in the Medavia Aviation will be beneficial. With the help of this module, I have also learned about Kotter's change management process in the organization to improve the employees in the organization (Kang et al, 2020).
I have learned with the help of this module that individual needs are important with the group needs in the organization to gain a competitive advantage in the organization. I have a leader and change my perception regarding the role module in the organization which is the leader for the employees but the Medavia Aviation has been failed the same. With the help of this module, I have identified that the role of a leader is important to develop others but within the Medavia Aviation organization, the leader is not giving importance to the employees because he is thinking that they are the only slaves for the organization. I have identified and changed my perception that the role model is crucial for the success of the organization because it will enable the Medavia Aviation organization to get the growth in the future.
It has been concluded that the current style of leadership is important because it will help them to get the success in the Medavia Aviation organization. It has been identified that the company has been facing many issues like lack of motivation, conflict management, violation of ethics, increased turnover, and so on. The rational of these issues has been identified that the Medavia Aviation organization has not being able to achieve the heights in the company which decreases the productivity of the employees. To manage all these, the organization will change the current leadership style with the help of conflict management model, Kotter's change model, and leadership style which is participative.
Adha, S., Sintawati, F., Julyanto, O., Wulandari, R.A. and Purwanto, A., 2020. Leadership Style For Indonesian Public Health Center: Charismatic, Bureaucratic, Transactional, Transformational, Autocratic Or Democratic?. European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine, 7(7), pp.115-124.
Baker, V.L., Lunsford, L.G. and Pifer, M.J., 2019. Patching up the “Leaking leadership pipeline”: Fostering mid-career faculty succession management. Research in Higher Education, 60(6), pp.823-843.
Dimas, I.D., Rebelo, T., Lourenço, P.R. and Rocha, H., 2018, May. A cusp catastrophe model for satisfaction, conflict, and conflict management in teams. In International Conference on Computational Science and Its Applications (pp. 335-350). Springer, Cham.
Ghaffari, S., Burgoyne, J., Mad Shah, I., Nazri, M. and Salah Aziz, J.S., 2017. Investigating the mediation role of respect for employees on the relationship between participative leadership and job satisfaction: A case study at University Teknologi Malaysia. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, 11, pp.1-13.
Gosnell, G.K., List, J.A. and Metcalfe, R.D., 2020. The impact of management practices on employee productivity: A field experiment with airline captains. Journal of Political Economy, 128(4), pp.1195-1233.
Kang, S.P., Chen, Y., Svihla, V., Gallup, A., Ferris, K. and Datye, A.K., 2020. Guiding change in higher education: an emergent, iterative application of Kotter’s change model. Studies in Higher Education, pp.1-20.
Komljenovic, D., Loiselle, G. and Kumral, M., 2017. Organization: A new focus on mine safety improvement in a complex operational and business environment. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 27(4), pp.617-625.
Luqman, R., Fatima, S., Ahmed, S., Khalid, I. and Bhatti, A., 2020. The Impact of Autocratic Leadership Style on Counterproductive Work Behavior: The Mediating role of Employee Commitment and Moderating role of Emotional Exhaustion. Pollster Journal of Academic Research, 6(01), pp.22-47.
McKoy, M.G., 2018. Developing an Internal Leadership Pipeline in Urban Districts: A Pathway to Capacity Building. Seton Hall University.
Mohiuddin, S. and Mohteshamuddin, K., 2020. Combination model for sustainable change by utilizing the Kotter's change model and the Hersey & Blanchard's leadership model for improving medication errors reporting. Journal of Medical & Allied Sciences, 10(1), pp.25-32.
Patton, C.M., 2018. Changes: A conflict management model for organizational redesign efforts. Journal of Conflict, 6(1).
Rajan, R. and Ganesan, R., 2017. A critical analysis of John P. Kotter's change management framework. Asian Journal of Research in Business Economics and Management, 7(7), pp.181-203.
Shaban, O.S., Al-Zubi, Z., Ali, N. and Alqotaish, A., 2017. The effect of low morale and motivation on employees’ productivity & competitiveness in Jordanian industrial companies. International Business Research, 10(7), pp.1-7.
Sheshi, A. and Kërçini, D., 2017. The role of Transactional, Transformational and Participative Leadership in performance of SME's in Albania. Albanian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, pp.285-292.
Stephan, H.R., 2020. Shaping the scope of conflict in Scotland’s fracking debate: Conflict management and the narrative policy framework. Review of Policy Research, 37(1), pp.64-91.
Tran, K.T., Nguyen, P.V., Nguyen, T.D. and Ton, U., 2020. The impact of organisational commitment on the relationship between motivation and turnover intention in the public sector. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 11(12), pp.1-25.
Tsai, Y.S., Poquet, O., Gaševi?, D., Dawson, S. and Pardo, A., 2019. Complexity leadership in learning analytics: Drivers, challenges and opportunities. British Journal of Educational Technology, 50(6), pp.2839-2854.
Zavei, S.J.A.P. and Jusan, M.B.M., 2017. End-Users' Perception from Housing Needs Based on Maslow's Theory of Motivation. Open House International.